Friday 5 April 2019

Art of Appreciation - An Inspiring True Story

Appreciation can make a day, even change a life. Your willingness is to put it into words is all that is necessary - Margaret Cousins 

After finishing my engineering (Information Technology) in May 2004, I have boarded the train from Madurai(Tamil Nadu) to Bangalore with lots of dreams to become a successful software engineer. 

In Bangalore, me with some of my college friends have rented a house in Indiranagar and started our job hunt. By God's grace, all of our batch mates have got a good job in a reputed IT Industry within 3 months. 

I am blessed to get a Job in a South Korean IT company, Bangalore. I have joined the South Korean MNC Company as fresher on 18th October 2004. As I am from Rajapalayam, which is a small town in Southern Tamil Nadu, I struggled a lot with the environment inside and outside the company. 

During the early days of my career, If you see me speaking in-front of five people in the meeting, I bet that you would roll out laughing on the floor. Luckily, WhatsApp was not there during that time, or else my official emails will be circulated all over the world as Joke for the day. I still remember the day, when I asked my colleague Hari to chat with our European client on messenger on my behalf. 



During my first year appraisal, my manager have a big list of areas that needs improvement for me, that includes communication, Inter-personal, E-mail, Presentation Skills, etc. To be frank, the improvement list is much bigger than my wife’s shopping list. Every year, my manager increased the improvement list for me, without any much improvement in my salary. Whatever I do, my manager was never satisfied with my performance, he always came with a new list of areas that needs improvement. 

Many times, I have thought of quitting my software job and going back to hometown. However, my father always motivated me telling that my salary is greater than his salary as a School teacher. Whenever he goes to see his friends, he tells proudly that I am working in a South Korean MNC. So, I have decided to stick with this company, atleast to make him happy. 

In the IT industry if you don’t perform as per your Boss expectation, you will be donated to some other team during the internal job rotation. Yes, as you predicted correctly, in the year 2007, I was also requested to change team and work under Guruprasad Baller. 

Guruprasad Baller was from Bangalore. He had a beaming smile on his face always. He was a man of positive energy and enthusiasm. He treated everyone in the team as his own family members.

Whenever someone face some problem in the project, he was there to support them. He leaves office only after ensuring that everyone in his team have left and he comes early before everyone check-ins. He was one of the best employees at the company. So, all the Critical projects were assigned to him.  



He loved his work more than anything else in the world.  He respects the house keeping personnel, the same way he respects the president of our company. He is a humble, down to earth person.

He is a servant leader and I have learnt lots of leadership skills from him. Whenever we work late night, we used to order food and Guruprasad used to serve everyone and start eating only after ensuring that everyone got their share. 

I am more than happy to move to a new team, under the leadership of Guru. Guru started appreciating all the small things that I have done. I liked him very much, as he is the first person to tell me that I can also be of some use to the IT industry. He slowly polished me and gave me a proper guidance. His motivating words and appreciation was like a water for a thirsty person in the desert. 

In parallel, I started reading books about Positive Thinking, Law of Attraction, Self Help, Personal Growth, Art of Public Speaking, Leadership Skills, Management Skills, Communication Skills, etc to upgrade myself. Guru motivated and inspired me, whenever I need energy. In the year 2010, I was awarded "Best Employee Award" from our company president during the Annual day function that is held at Palace Grounds, Bangalore. 

Me, Ranjith and Vijay worked together for approximately five years under the brilliant leadership of Guruprasad. It was one of the golden days in my corporate life until now, where we enjoyed each and every moment in office. All four of us have a special bonding that cannot be explained by words. 


Ranjith, Guruprasad, Prem,Vijay 
In the year 2012, Guruprasad has resigned from our company to pursue his goals of higher studies. However, the seeds of inspiration that he have implanted within me have already started bearing the fruits. 

In the year 2014, exactly ten years after I joined the South Korean MNC Company, during my appraisal meeting my new manager told me “Prem, your communication skills, Interpersonal Skills, Email Writing skills and presentation skills are Awesome. You are the BEST. You are one of the Valuables assets to the company”

I have mentally thanked my (Guru)prasad for everything. Yes, his words of appreciation have changed my life positively. 

I have received multiple Star Awards, Project Awards, etc after the entry of Guruprasad in my life. I have personally told my current manager, not to include me in any of the Awards list, as I want it go to a thirsty Young engineer who is still waiting for that magical positive break. 

Guruprasad Speaks :
I am humbled to see myself in your blogs. Thanks. I agree that, appreciating a deserving colleague is the least, first but most important thing for a manager to do. Most of the people are self motivated for achieving something. So the appreciation acts as that extra "Boost" which makes them feel they are on the right path.

This is "Reverse Inspiration" case. Where the inspired is inspiring back the inspirer now. Well done Prem.. It was great reading your blog. Thanks for that and wish you all the best.

A Request from Author : 
If you are a Boss, reading this article, please be informed that everyone is gifted with unique talent, please identify it and start appreciating it, instead of criticizing only about the areas of improvement. 

If you like this article, You are kindly requested to join my mission of Donate a Meal to start making a positive difference is someone's life. You are born with the ability to change someone life positively, please give your life a chance. 

14 comments:

  1. Well written. He is really The Guru. We all blessed to have such kind of leader. Prem..sure you are well molded and will flourish as your mentor.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your kind words. When the right time comes, I will also write about Mr.Cool [You]. You are one of the reasons, for me to stick to this company for a long time :)

      Delete
  2. Nice article Prem!! In life's rat race where there is constant pressure to prove yourself each and everyday, it is rare to find gems like Guru bhai who are so committed, selfless, hardworking and at the same time always happy. He is an inspiration for all of us. My love and respect for him. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for taking time to write the review bhai. As you rightly said, we are blessed to work under him. Let's try our BEST, to follow his footprints to be a better leader.

      Delete
    2. This is "Reverse Inspiration" case. Where the inspired is inspiring back the inspirer now. Well done Prem.. It was great reading your blog. Thanks for that and wish you all the best.

      Delete
  3. Awesome.... While reading this, I recalled my past... Like ur boss "Guru", there were many people who helped me and groomed me... Ur blog all are awesome... Keep writing my dear friend... When can we expect u to release ur first book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Vijay for taking time and writing your review. It means a lot for me. I am still sharpening my writing skills. By the will of the God, the book will be released when the right time comes.

      Delete
  4. Excellent narration and truly inspiring. Everyone may not be lucky enough to get a team-leader like Guruprasad Baller. Entry of such a beautiful soul at the right time of your life is really God's gift.

    I'm confident that this blog will definitely help many readers like me live a more positive,radiant and happy life. Surely will donate a meal whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it. Thanks a lot for taking time to write a review. It means a lot for a budding author like me.

      Delete
  5. Good article prem, truly inspiring, guru sir is loveable person and i always get motivated.
    And, prem i truly appreciate your positive approach and appreciating colleagues, friends, family members is truly amazing and it is needed.
    I will surely apply this in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seshu, Glad you like it and Thanks a lot for your kind words. Stay blessed.

      Delete
  6. Excellent article, Prem. Thanks for sharing the story of your success. Articles like this inspire and motivate young people to achieve their dreams. People from Europe and all over the globe admire your qualities. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it.Thanks a lot for your kind words Naveen. It means a lot for me.

      Delete

A Message from Universe to You

Hello Friends, If you are seeing this comment then take it as the sign from your subconscious mind / Universe that "This too shall Pass...