Saturday 13 April 2019

Software Techie's - Spending Habits

It's not your Salary that makes you Rich, it's your Spending habits - Charles.A.Jaffe

The outside world thinks that Software Techie's earn a lot of money. Yes, we earn a lot, however, no one talks about the amount of money we spend.  Special thanks to those dozens of banks who offer us a free home loan, car loan, and personal loan to make us live in cloud nine, to feel that we are rich. But the harsh reality is that most of the software engineers live in the debt. 

Software Techie's Weekend Spending :
Most of the software engineers spend their weekends with families in Malls, Restaurants, Children's Gaming Zone, Cinema's and Popcorns. Yes, Popcorns costs more than cinema tickets. 

I have visited the Children's Gaming Zone in a famous mall, with my Son recently and after that, I have safely thrown that Membership card in the trash. I am surprised to see the amount that it has costs for minutes of the game. I'm so glad, that I had a beautiful childhood before technology took over. 

Special thanks to the Credit Cards with lakhs of rupees loaded on it. No one realizes, how much they spend. Vicki Robin in her best selling book "Your Money or Your Life" says “Money is something we choose to trade our life energy for” Watch the below video to understand this beautiful quote. 



Software Techie's Spending Habit :
Below is the extract from the book "Confessions of a Software Techie" written by Ramakrishna Reddy. I bow to the author for writing this brilliant book. 

"We earn enough money to visit high-end restaurants, buy Levi’s jeans and Nike shoes, go for a vacation to the Himalayas or Hawaii, and drink vodka during the weekends. We can also get a car from Hyundai or Honda. But, how will you buy your dream house? We have a solution—a mortgage! 

We techies seem to be the cash cow for multiple industries and the government. They don’t just milk money in taxes taken out of our paychecks but feed us junk food, get us to buy unnecessary stuff in super-sized malls, lock us in heavy mortgages, lure us into expensive vacations, hit us with heavy hospital bills, and still collect taxes on all these expenses. Nice. Finally, we look like a superhero with a huge credit card bill. And end up being poor"

You are requested to read the Confession of a Software Techie - Book ReviewThis book is a must-read for all software Techies. 

I have fine-tuned my spending habits, after watching the below TED Talk "A rich life with less stuff" by The Minimalists. 




"These days, technology and systems encourage impulse buys. Things that we buy based on wants rather than needs. The world wants you to spend more money on your wants. 

But, you'll be smart if you spend money on your needs" - Ramakrishna Reddy 

need (Verb) - Require (something) because it is essential or very important rather than just desirable.

Want (Verb) - have a desire to possess or do (something); wish for.

Examples : 
I need a car. 
I want a Volkswagen Vento. 

I need a home.
I want a Villa with all the amenities. 

I need a vacation. 
I want to go to Switzerland. 

Once I became 'The Happy Zen', I started feeling happy with everything I have. Yes, I am grateful for my Maruti Zen 2004 model. It has saved me and my family from Bangalore rains and colds multiple times. 

I haven't upgraded my car, after reading the book "Rich Dad and Poor Dad", written by Robert Kiyosaki, even though there are dozens of banks who are chasing me daily to take a car loan. Yes, I do my BEST to follow as much as possible from the books I read. As Mahatma Gandhi once said, "An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching".


I also got the inspiration from my beloved master Warren Buffet, who still drives a 7-Year-Old Cadillac. One day, I will become a Warren Buffet of happiness.   


A Request from Author : 
Let's pause our spending habits and check are we going in the right direction. Postone your buying spree for a week and if you still have the thirst for buying, please go ahead. 

I would heartily appreciate if you could share it with your friends and colleagues, who are still in the spending illusion. I want you to get rid of the rat race and live a financially free life filled with happiness, peace, and harmony. Wish you success and Good Luck. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Message from Universe to You

Hello Friends, If you are seeing this comment then take it as the sign from your subconscious mind / Universe that "This too shall Pass...