Thursday 28 March 2019

Is it OK to DISAGREE with The Boss ?

Leaders who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people who have nothing to say - Andy Stanley

Recently, I have come across a beautiful article "EVERY WORKPLACE SHOULD TRAIN EMPLOYEES TO DISAGREE WITH THE BOSS – HERE’S WHY". I am presenting the extract of the article below for your kind reference. 

"The worst accident in the history of aviation happened on the Spanish Island of Tenerife on March 27 1977 when a KLM 747 taking off crashed into a Pan Am 747 that was still on the runway.



A long chain of events led up to the crash, but one of the major causes was that the captain of the KLM flight chose to ignore a crucial warning from his co-workers in the cockpit.

As a result, less experienced flight crew members were encouraged to challenge their captains when they believed something was not correct, and captains were instructed to listen to their crew and evaluate all decisions in light of crew concerns"

Being a Project Manager in a renowned IT company, I always think that I am on the top of the world. However, the KLM lesson have completely changed my perception about listening to my subordinates. 


After reading this article, I have started listening to my subordinates, not only about the early warnings but also about the solutions given by them when we face a problem. I am pleasantly surprised, by the simple solutions given by them for the complex problems

Whenever we face a problem I ask my subordinate "Do you have any better solution to solve the existing problem ?". If the solution given by my subordinate is better than the one that is in my mind, I ask him to go ahead and implement it immediately.    



Our top management still thinks that I am brilliant in problem solving and making good decisions. However, I will open a secret, please don't tell to anyone, especially my top management that, I just patiently listen to my subordinates and implements the best solutions given my them. 

Even though you are Boss, it is not mandatory that all of your decisions will be right. It is our human nature to make mistakes, but what define us, is how we correct them quickly and doesn't repeat the same mistake. 

Listening to your subordinates will help to create a happy workplace, where they feel valued.By the end of the day, it is not only the salary that motivates the employees. 

Next time, when you face a complex problem in your project, just listen. You don't want to make your brain work overtime, to solve all the problems in your project. 

References :
https://positivesharing.com/2014/02/teach-employees-to-disagree-with-the-boss/

A Request from Author: 
If you like this article, please share it with your boss.Please be informed that I am not responsible for your appraisal this year, if your boss backfires. 

If you are a Boss reading this article, Just listen to your subordinates and experience the positive results yourself. 

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting article. Rather than restricting this to your work place i will cut this a bit and say "IS IT OK TO DISAGREE(No)"? with any one when you feel things are not moving in the right direction. Definitely we face a situation like this during the life journey, it is hard to say NO or DISAGREE sometimes but we have to learn to put this in practice. If not you might face heavy price even though it is not your fault. But how do you learn to say NO or DISAGREE? on what basis? are you an expert in that specific domain and confident to say NO? what if things turn out weird because of your disagreement? How do you bet the situation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siva, Thanks a lot for taking time to write the review.

      "how do you learn to say NO or DISAGREE? on what basis? are you an expert in that specific domain and confident to say NO? what if things turn out weird because of your disagreement? How do you bet the situation?"

      I will write a separate article, to answer all these questions when the right time comes.

      Delete

A Message from Universe to You

Hello Friends, If you are seeing this comment then take it as the sign from your subconscious mind / Universe that "This too shall Pass...